It’s time to see how you did on the trivia questions posted Friday. These were some tough questions, so don’t feel bad if you didn’t know many — just follow the links, read up on some interesting Virginians, and then stump your friends with what you learned!
1. What Virginian became chief of the Crow Indians?
James Pierson Beckwourth
2. What Virginian became president of a foreign republic?
3. What Virginian became famous as “The Missouri Artist”?
George Caleb Bingham
4. What Virginian became the first African-American to serve a full term in the United States Senate?
Blanche Kelso Bruce
5. What Virginia writer helped promote the Westward Migration?
Jessie Benton Fremont
6. What Virginia slave mailed himself to freedom?
7. What Virginian became the most famous fugitive slave in US history?
8. What Virginian “discovered” the Great Salt Lake?
9. What Virginian became an abolitionist governor of Illinois?
10. What Virginian helped bring order to Central City, Colorado?
11. What Virginian was instrumental in establishing the Pony Express?
Benjamin Franklin Ficklin
12. What Virginian became the founder of Texas?
Stephen Fuller Austin
13. Who was the first African American to serve in the State Senate?
14. What Virginian served as President for a month?
William Henry Harrison
15. What Virginian explored Yellowstone River?
16. What Virginian was saved by a white bean?
William Alexander Anderson “Bigfoot” Wallace during the Black Bean Incident
17. What Virginian became a confidante to a famous First Lady?
18. What Virginian made the first map of Tennessee?
19. What Virginian helped Kentucky achieve statehood?
20. What Virginia slave’s lawsuit led to a famous Supreme Court case?
21. What Virginian was probably the first African-American elected to public office in the United States?
John Mercer Langston, elected town clerk of Brownhelm in 1855
22. What Virginian established Centralia, Washington?
23. What Virginian taught the first kindergarten in Detroit?
Fannie Moore Richards
24. What Virginian met with John Brown to encourage a slave uprising in the South?
George DeBaptiste, who met with John Brown and Frederick Douglass
25. What Virginian won the Northwest during the American Revolution?
George Rogers Clark
26. What Virginian killed himself three years after his famous expedition?
Meriwether Lewis (although some scholars believe he was murdered)
27. What Virginian explored the Louisiana Territory?
William Clark and the aforementioned Meriwether Lewis
28. What Virginian helped carry Methodism to western Virginia?
Elizabeth Henry Campbell Russell
29. What Virginian was called the “Iron Cutter” by the Sioux Indians?
Lawrence Taliaferro, whose last name is derived from “iron cutter” in Italian.
30. What Virginian revolutionized American agriculture?
Cyrus Hall McCormick
31. What Virginian helped found the Wilberforce Community in Canada?
32. What Virginian was known as the “Great Compromiser”?
33. What Virginian was given a flag made by Barbara Fritchie?
Jesse Lee Reno
34. What Virginian ended the bleeding in “Bleeding Kansas”?
James William Denver