35 West Piccadilly Street
George Reed House
Home of the Rev. and Mrs. Dan McCoig
John Barker and Emily Skiles, House Chairs
Pat Jackson, Decorator
The “Rev.” George Reed House was built circa 1787. Reed, born in Sligo, Ireland, immigrated to Winchester in 1787 where he established himself as a coppersmith, and later served as mayor of Winchester and high sheriff of Frederick County. The main wing is a solid example of a late-Georgian/ early American stone house. The main wing has two rooms on the first floor, two rooms on the second floor, and two dormer rooms on the third floor. The west and south wings, both of which are two stories, are brick and were completed before 1810. Nearly all of the architectural woodwork is original. Especially notable are the mantles in the east and west front parlors, the central stairwell, and the original back door. Over its 200-plus year history, the house has been a boarding house, an art gallery, a business office, and a bank. The McCoigs restored the home to a private residence in 2008, receiving a PHW Award of Merit for their efforts in 2009.