A number of events commemorating the 150th Anniversary of Stonewall Jackson’s Valley Campaign will be taking place in our area from May 24 to June 9. Here’s a rundown of the events:
- May 24, 2012: “150 Years Ago…On This Day” Tour – The Running Fight on the Valley Pike (Middletown) – Presented by Cedar Creek and Belle Grove National Historical Park
- May 25, 2012: “150 Years Ago…On This Day” Tour – The First Battle of Winchester (Winchester)
- May 25, 2012: “History at Sunset” – The First Battle of Winchester (Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, Winchester) – Presented by the MSV and Cedar Creek and Belle Grove National Historical Park
- May 27, 2012: Clarke County Memorial Day Service (Berryville)
- June 9-10, 2012: Reenactment of Cross Key and Port Republic (Cedar Creek Battlefield, Middletown) – Presented by the Cedar Creek Battlefield Foundation.
In addition, the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation’s major regional event, “If This Valley is Lost”: Preserving the Legacy of Stonewall Jackson’s Valley Campaign, will be held in Cross Keys on June 9.