Friday Photos: The Kernstown Distillery and Other Commercial Enterprises, 1904

We have a real treat for you in today’s set of Friday Photos. This promotional type of newspaper was tucked away in the PHW library. Upon opening the pages, we found a treasure trove of images from Winchester and surrounding areas dating to about 1904.

Kernstown Distillery 1904 The Kernstown Distillery gets top billing on the front page, touting its whiskies are noted for “their purity, maturity, and excellent tonic qualities.” The manufacturing center was located in Kernstown, and branch offices and retail locations were located in Winchester, Berryville, and Harrisonburg.

Valley Granite Works 1904 Other businesses had photographs accompanying their articles, such as Funk and Ray’s funeral and furniture store at 7 S. Loudoun St., Valley Marble and Granite Works, Winchester Memorial Hospital, the James Clark Distilling Co., the Lyons Clothing Company, and the Shenandoah Valley National Bank.

Main (Loudoun) Street looking north 1904 Other businesses ran text articles, including the Miller Drug Store, Old Colonial Cafe at 126-128 N. Loudoun St., The Singer Manufacturing Co. at 5 W. Piccadilly St., Winchester Creamery, Dr. Whitlock and Nephew, J.J. Chrismore Harness and repairs at 139 S. Loudoun St., T.M. Bantz (noted as the oldest shoe establishment in Winchester) at 14 N. Loudoun St., The Union Bank, W.M. Hardy Harness at 135 N. Loudoun St., The Virginia Lightning Conductor Company, Robinson Bros. Dry Goods at 134 N. Loudoun St., Winchester Ice Factory, Simon Hausenfluck’s restaurant at 29 E. Boscawen St., E. W. Grant’s Livery and Sales Stable on Fairfax Lane, Archibald Oden Shoes, J.H. Bowman Groceries at 705 S. Loudoun St., Thos. L. House Groceries at 124 S. Loudoun St., Capt. George W. Kurtz funeral director and embalmer, Briggs Piano Co., The Winchester Hand Laundry, the Henry S. Baker & Co., The Moon Clothing Store at 200 N. Loudoun St., Robert L. Mitchell’s livery and drayage at 19-21 S. Braddock St., John W. Davis harness and leather repairs at 42 E. Piccadilly St., Jones’ Creamery at 31 E. Piccadilly St., J.W. Henshall real estate and loans at 26 Rouss Ave., jeweler and optician E. Bruce Capper at 11 W. Boscawen St., J.M. Fry plant nursery at 809-821 S. Loudoun St., C.W. Ramsburg poultry and produce, plumbing and electrician Chas. F. Seal at 28 E. Piccadilly St., and Bushnell & Co. cigars and drugs.

Front Royal Milling Company 1904 Front Royal and Stephens City shared a page for their enterprises, namely the Bank of Warren; J.F. Forsyth groceries and other goods; jeweler, watchmaker, and optician C. W. Johnston; Naylor, Shyrock, and Co. harness and farm supplies; Front Royal Milling Co.; E.H. Hoffman groceries and shoes; Front Royal National Bank; William E. Lake and Sons General Merchandise; E.D. Poulton book and stationery; Front Royal Ice Plant; photographer T.M. Hemming; and C.L. Brumback farming implements.

Atkinson 1904 Also included are articles on public figures and institutions, including Judge William Atkinson, The Handley Library Fund, Auctioneer A. G. Swanson, Winchester Fire Department Chief J.W. Sibert, cobbler Julius C. Davis, and Winchester Steam Dying and Cleaning Works proprietor Harry Parsons. All were of course noted as being exceptionally good businessmen and honest, upright citizens.

Aulick 1904 But the best surprise of the paper was an image of the Aulick House at 414 S. Braddock St. with the family standing in the yard, promoting their florist business. Most likely pictured are Charles Eugene Aulick, Sr., his wife Rebecca, and Charles Eugene, Jr. and Mary Katherine as young children. This is the oldest known image of the Aulick house, just a little over twenty years after it was constructed.

View the full set of photos on Flickr.