It’s that time again! PHW’s 35th Holiday House Tour will be held on December 3 and 4. The Preview Party will kick off the event from 6-9 PM on December 3. Daylight tours on December 4 will run from 1-5 PM. The Bough and Dough Shop will be open that weekend at the Winchester Little Theater for your holiday decorating and gifting needs.
Tickets will go on sale in about two and a half weeks. Stay tuned for more info on the tour stops, ticket sales, and more in the interim!
On-street parking will be limited in the neighborhood for the tour. There is no on-street parking along Fairmont Avenue. However, you may park for free in the rear yard at the Centre Friends Meeting House, the site of the Bough and Dough Shop. All homes are within reasonable walking distance from this location.
The Braddock Street and Loudoun Street parking garages are also located near the neighborhood of the tour. Both garages are open 24 hours a day. The Braddock Street garage is free to park on Sunday from 8 AM to 6AM.
303 Fairmont Avenue
Home of Mrs. Joseph Manuel
Franklin Wright, House Chair
Mrs. Manuel’s home will be open for the Preview Party on Saturday evening only.
This grand High Victorian Italianate style home, known as Belvedere, was built in 1876- 1877 by Dr. Philip W. Boyd. In the house’s 144 year history only four other families have resided in Belvedere. Built of imported soft tone English brick, the house exhibits a glorious array of Victorian ornamentation. The three story central tower, edged with alternating brick quoins, has paired round arched windows shaded by a canopy. The front porch with its decorative trim shelters the front door with its beveled, leaded glass in sidelights and transom. Upon entering the house, the high first floor ceilings create a feeling of grandeur for the Christmas tree in the entry hall. A spruce tree decorated with prisms and placed between two mirrored piers in the ballroom spreads the wonder of the holidays to all visitors.
35 West Piccadilly Street
George Reed House
Home of the Rev. and Mrs. Dan McCoig
John Barker and Emily Skiles, House Chairs
Pat Jackson, Decorator
The “Rev.” George Reed House was built circa 1787. Reed, born in Sligo, Ireland, immigrated to Winchester in 1787 where he established himself as a coppersmith, and later served as mayor of Winchester and high sheriff of Frederick County. The main wing is a solid example of a late-Georgian/ early American stone house. The main wing has two rooms on the first floor, two rooms on the second floor, and two dormer rooms on the third floor. The west and south wings, both of which are two stories, are brick and were completed before 1810. Nearly all of the architectural woodwork is original. Especially notable are the mantles in the east and west front parlors, the central stairwell, and the original back door. Over its 200-plus year history, the house has been a boarding house, an art gallery, a business office, and a bank. The McCoigs restored the home to a private residence in 2008, receiving a PHW Award of Merit for their efforts in 2009.
311 Fairmont Avenue
Home of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Helm
Bruce Downing, House Chair
Brookie Phillips, Decorator
Large boxwoods guide visitors up the slate walkway to one of Winchester’s earliest houses. Constructed in the first decade of the 1800s, this house is an excellent example of a transitional Georgian-style to Federal-style dwelling. Fair Mount was built for Joseph Tidball by a local carpenter named Lewis Barnett. The two-story white stucco main structure is flanked by one and one half story service wings which were added shortly after the central portion was built. The graceful interior woodwork illustrates the influence of national tastes on local builders. The first-floor plan is comprised of four rooms with a lateral stair in the main hall, which is in contrast to the highly formal and sophisticated five-bay Georgian-style façade. Although the house was remodeled in 1929 using the Colonial Revival style, it has retained many of its original features and has great integrity. Fair Mount is known in recent times as the birthplace Preservation of Historic Winchester. The home was added to the Virginia Landmarks Register in 2003 and the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.
209 North Washington Street
Home of Mr. and Mrs. Rich Rizzetta
Mark Lore, House Chair
MaryDale Jackson and Sandy Lore, Decorators
One of Winchester’s delightful vernacular Italianate style homes welcomes all visitors to its Tuscan columned wrap-around porch and beckons all to enter through its front paneled door lit by sidelights and a three-pane transom. This two and a half story, eaves-front structure built c.1875 and covered in shiplap siding, has its seam metal gable roof supported by the characteristic bracketed cornice of the Italianate style. Two-over-two sash windows on the second story also exhibit the decorative woodwork of this style with carved lintels. A two-story ell extends the house into the well manicured backyard.
101 North Washington Street
The Long House
Home of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Rockwood
Mary Scully Riley, House Chair
Built around 1785 by Robert Long I, this frame house occupies the corner lot at North Washington and Amherst Streets. Sheathed in clapboards, many neighbors recall when it was covered in a 1920s pebbledash stucco. The Rockwoods received a PHW Award of Merit in 2007 after they removed the stucco to expose the original façade. A library has been added to the two-story ell on the north side. This vernacular Federal style home welcomes visitors through its multi-paned front door to the main hallway graced with a carved newel post, delicate stairway and carved plaster ceiling medallion. The Rockwoods’ home is furnished with art and collectibles from both sides of the family. The furnishings include several 1800s pieces.
The Volume 33.3, Fall 2010 edition of the PHW Newsletter is online now. Don’t miss page 3 for a sneak peek at the 2010 Holiday House Tour brochure and ticket order form!
PHW is pleased to announce the 34th annual Holiday House Tour, which will be held December 4 and 5 in the North Washington and Fairmont Avenue neighborhood.
The tour kicks off on Saturday with the Preview Party and Candlelight Tour from 6-9 p.m. The party will be held in the home of Mrs. Joseph Manuel, 303 Fairmont Avenue. The home will be open only for the Saturday event.
Four additional homes will be open for the Candlelight Tour. These homes will also open for the Daylight Tour on Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
- Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Rockwood, 101 North Washington Street
- Mr. and Mrs. Rich Rizzetta, 209 North Washington Street
- Mr. and Mrs. Richard Helm, 311 Fairmont Avenue
- Rev. and Mrs. Dan McCoig, 35 West Piccadilly Street
The Bough & Dough Shop returns this year with a wide array of local talent providing baked goods, handcrafts, greenery and floral arrangements and much more! The Shop, located at the Centre Friends Meeting House, 201 N. Washington St., will be open on Saturday and Sunday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
Tickets will be available after the 15th of November at the following locations:
More information on the houses and the tour will be released over the next week. Check back soon for more information!
The Holiday House Tour Preview Party will proceed tonight 6-9 PM, regardless of the snow. Please remember to dress for the weather and watch your step! As a reminder, ticket holders for the Preview Party may also use their tickets to visit the houses on Sunday during the Daylight Tour.
If you need Preview Party tickets, a limited number are available at the Bough and Dough Shop at 124 W. Boscawen Street and the other ticket sale locations.