125 East Clifford Street

125 East Clifford Street
The home of Tom and Deanna Stouffer

This vernacular home with Italianate influences may date back to the 1830s. It was part of the estate of Philip Sherer, a veteran of the War of 1812. Sherer’s obituary in January of 1876 lauded his fifty years of wagon-making in the era before railroads dominated commercial traffic, noting “his work had almost a national reputation.”

The house itself has an unusually low-pitched roof. It is believed the house was originally 1½ stories tall, but likely after Sherer’s death the roof was raised to a full 2 stories, the front clapboards replaced, the windows changed to 2/2 lights, and the brackets and pedimented window frames added.

Preservation of Historic Winchester purchased the house through the Jennings Revolving Fund as part of the Irene Hodgson estate in 1979. The current owners, Tom and Deanna Stouffer, purchased the home in 2011 and have steadily been improving the home, inside and out.

Be sure to look for the directional signage at this home, as we plan to have tours enter through a side alley to see the deep back yard and garden improvements and exit the front porch to prevent congestion on the sidewalk.

The home will be open for Candlelight Tours on Saturday, December 2, 6-9 p.m., and Daylight Tours on Sunday, December 3, 1-5 p.m.